Mechanical Engineer II, Innovation
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2023
Who We Are:
At Brooks, we believe a run can change a day, a life, the world. Everyone who works here is a key part of our obsession to make the best running gear on the planet. We want our business — which also happens to be our passion — to be a place where everyone feels welcome and comfortable being themselves. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together, and drives our success. We live this culture daily through our brand values: Runner First, Word is Bond, Champion Heart, There is no “I” in Run, and Keep Moving. This means we always solve for the runner, do what we say we will, give it our all, are generous with our humanity, and find a way to keep moving every day, because joy is kinetic.
Are you ready to help create something extraordinary?
The Brooks innovation group is a team of world-class innovative minds collectively focused on improving the performance running experience through product, experiential and biomechanical innovation. They constantly challenge assumptions of how products are made and together they shape the future of running footwear. They stretch the limits of science and human performance with every innovation and are relentlessly focused on changes that benefit the Brooks runner. They pioneer relationships with manufacturing partners and suppliers, uncovering new partnerships with global industry leaders to create innovations and bring new Brooks innovations to life. The team operates across the full range of product creation, merchandising, brand strategy, sourcing, and new business development to relentlessly pursue methods to make better-performing, higher-quality and sustainable products faster and more efficiently than ever before.
As our Mechanical Engineer II, Innovation, you will utilize your CAD and engineering knowledge to uncover new ways to research, prototype, and design products for advanced manufacturing and develop virtual validation processes that will drive the future of Brooks Running. This future includes building out a system for virtual modeling and validation (FEA/PCA). Your initial focus will be on creating innovative test methodologies to enable more rapid iterations of prototype materials and bottom platform designs and eventually define the future of material testing and validation at Brooks. You will work with global, cross-functional product creation teams from the collection of insights through material confirmation to create product performance-focused solutions that deliver new running experiences and exceed runner expectations. You will manage your work to achieve project timelines through the advanced R&D process to deliver ready for in-line product and technologies. You will work with strategic partners outside of Brooks to cultivate new ideas and deliver data-driven technologies that challenge and shape the future of running.
- Organize and manage work on multiple innovation projects from research, design, development & manufacturing needs.
- Lead the creation of new mechanical testing protocols to evaluate future concept materials and technologies that connect to improved runner experiences, advance our material testing capability and reduce the time/resources required to test new materials.
- Execute 3D CAD design, validation of concepts through FEA, prototyping, and physical testing for assigned projects. Present findings and recommendations to solve runners’ needs and problems.
- Apply FEA principles and systems to model material properties and their influence on runner perception.
- Display an in-depth knowledge of the 2D/3D CAD tools and process with the ability to explain and manipulate the process to advance and enhance the overall performance and efficiency of product.
- Participate in development trips, 2-3 per year, to work with manufacturers and suppliers on existing and current development projects.
- Recommend and specify software, hardware, and testing methods to help validate the designed computational solutions.
- Create and build a knowledge base and stay informed about vendor capabilities and performance, factory relationships, quality issues, materials pricing, and lead times.
- Employ simulation and modeling solutions to enhance our product designs, technologies, process, and materials.
- Apply engineering principles to predictably calculate the benefits to the consumer before committing resources to prototype builds.
- Assist and guide the biomechanical and design teams to build sound solutions that enhance the speed in which we test and prove ideas.
- Contribute to the product creative process so that material modeling becomes a validation point within the innovation development process so that new ideas can be challenged and formulated through scientific reasoning.
- Manage relationships and projects with external partners to test implementation of samples to validate the performance and production capabilities of ideas.
- Identify external partners who can support initiatives around material modeling.
- Provide engineering solutions that complement design, biomechanics, and production requirements.
- Keep up to date on engineering technologies and be innovative in their application.
- Build collaborative relationships with inline colleagues.
- Provide mentoring assistance to the innovation team members on mechanical design engineering
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or other applicable technical degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ successful years relevant work experience in 3D CAD design and modeling;
- 3+ years in product development of high-performance footwear a major plus
- Demonstrated ability to creatively apply engineering principles and theories to solve new technical problems.
- Technical expertise in 2D/3D with an advanced knowledge computational and simulation engineering software.
- Proven ability to demonstrate highly complex problem solving linking mechanical data to consumer perception and experience.
- Strong understanding of manufacturing capabilities, anticipating issues, problem solving with timely resolution.
- Understanding of the validation process from modeling to lab, fit, wear and biomechanical testing and specification concepts and processes.
- Proven ability to communicate and influence in a collaborative, cross-functional group without command/ control to meet strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to develop highly productive relationships with individuals and teams that are made up of diverse disciplines and cultural backgrounds resulting in effective working relationships across the company.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an advanced ability to communicate new ideas, concepts and functional expertise within project teams and to external stakeholders.
- Keen attention to detail in planning, organization and execution of tasks (self and through others).
- Curious and open minded; always open for a challenge, inventive, creative. With the ability to challenge the status quo – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details.
- Strong computer skills including experience with Rhino, Solid Works, Altair, MS Office software.
- Proven ability to lead and influence in collaborative, team oriented and complex global environments.
- Passionate participation in Brooks’ sports activities is a plus, overridden by the ability to understand and empathize with the runner in order to develop loyal, engaging relationships with our customers and the Brooks community.
- Embraces and lives the Brooks values!
Compensation: The pay range for this position, based out of the Brooks Seattle HQ, is $99,876 - $149,814 per year. Base pay offered will vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Brooks is proud to offer a robust benefits package to our employees and their families!
Benefits- including medical, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance, HSA and employer contribution, FSA, family & fertility assistance, 401K Savings Plan and match, employee assistance program, and transportation assistance.
Paid Time Off- Brooks offers generous time off including three to five weeks of paid time off, eleven paid holidays, paid sick and parental leave.
Bonus- in addition to base pay, Brooks employees may also be offered an annual bonus based on company performance.
Perks- including product discounts, a home office stipend, employee recognition, fitness discounts, volunteer and donation benefits.
At Brooks, we celebrate diversity & equity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply. Brooks is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, two-spirit identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related conditions), honorable discharge or military status, protected citizen status, actual or perceived victims of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, HIV or Hepatitis C infection, political ideology, use of a trained guide dog by a person with a disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, or any other non-merit based factors.