Footwear Chemical Engineer II
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2023
Who We Are:
At Brooks, we believe a run can change a day, a life, the world. Everyone who works here is a key part of our obsession to make the best running gear on the planet. We want our business — which also happens to be our passion — to be a place where everyone feels welcome and comfortable being themselves. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together, and drives our success. We live this culture daily through our brand values: Runner First, Word is Bond, Champion Heart, There is no “I” in Run, and Keep Moving. This means we always solve for the runner, do what we say we will, give it our all, are generous with our humanity, and find a way to keep moving every day, because joy is kinetic.
Are you ready to help create something extraordinary?
The Brooks Chemical Engineer II will drive innovative material and engineering solutions that enable the company to meet manufacturing deadlines while maintaining the craftsmanship, quality and performance attributes that have made Brooks the world’s leading manufacturer of performance running footwear. You will have a sound technical background in footwear chemistry especially on EVA/RB/PU polymer, foaming technology. You will also need excellent research skills working across a wide scope of global resources to translate consumer needs into effective product designs with the technical requirements necessary to win in the market.
· Act as technical expert in the development, commercialization and manufacturing teams during the entire product creation process.
· Lead and the Chemical aspects of the Process Flow Chart/ Bonding Flow Chart to ensure a smooth transition to manufacturing of the final product.
· Seek out new and creative chemical solutions and radical engineering concepts from your global network and work with the team to rapidly identify the best findings and shape them into new test samples and bringing ground-breaking product opportunities to the market.
· Work with the Innovation team on product readiness – receive the handover of whole tech package from Innovation team, overall monitor chemical compound/formula and PFC/BPFC implementation in mass production and monitor process continue improvement.
· Validate various shoes, component making, and bonding processes to ensure that there are no product issues.
· Drive the reduction of the use of solvent-based chemicals and reduce waste generation in manufacturing.
· Drive compliance to established Brooks Best Practices in working collaboratively with the development, commercialization and manufacturing teams
· Continually seek solutions to engineering and manufacturing issues. Problem solving skills are essential.
· Drive to create and monitor chemical manual for each soles compound.
· Coach & mentor colleagues. Assist and lead in training for Brooks teams and factory personnel.
· Implement VOC reduction according to Brooks strategy.
· Lead the auditing of the chemical aspects of the PFC/BPFC and chemical best practices on a regular basis in all our partner factories and vendors to ensure compliance and excellent operation.
· Work collaboratively with the RSL Engineering team to achieve our
2020 new goal of zero hazardous chemicals.
· Your key stakeholders are T1s, T2s, Innovation team, Production engineer, product engineer, development team and our chemical suppliers.
· Implement new sustainable projects.
· Support managers for other projects.
· Give your advice, technical perspective to internal team and development team for how to use existing compounds, chemicals on new design.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or related Chemical background Science
2. Minimum 5 years of footwear manufacturing experience, preferably factory floor manager/technician experience.
3. Required to be fluent in English (writing and speaking) and able to communicate clearly with both the Asia and USA teams.
4. Strong communication, solving, projects management skills and a willingness to work in a collaborative environment is essential.
5. Practical working experience in all the areas of production is essential.
6. Expert knowledge in RB/EVA polymer formulation and process, PU processing
7. Expert knowledge in shoe adhesive/bonding, printing, coating process.
8. Expert knowledge of test methods/protocols used in materials, components and complete shoe testing
9. Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
10. Adobe Creative Suite and/or 3D design capabilities a plus.
11. You must be able to travel globally as required for the job
Reports to: Manager, Chemical Engineering
Department: Footwear Sourcing-95
At Brooks, we celebrate diversity & equity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply. Brooks is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, two-spirit identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related conditions), honorable discharge or military status, protected citizen status, actual or perceived victims of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, HIV or Hepatitis C infection, political ideology, use of a trained guide dog by a person with a disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, or any other non-merit based factors.