Senior Cloud Engineer
Seattle, WA, USA
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2024
Who We Are:
At Brooks, we believe a run can change a day, a life, the world. Everyone who works here is a key part of our obsession to make the best running gear on the planet. We want our business — which also happens to be our passion — to be a place where everyone feels welcome and comfortable being themselves. Our company culture defines us, bonds us together, and drives our success. We live this culture daily through our brand values: Runner First, Word is Bond, Champion Heart, There is no “I” in Run, and Keep Moving. This means we always solve for the runner, do what we say we will, give it our all, are generous with our humanity, and find a way to keep moving every day, because joy is kinetic.
Are you ready to help create something extraordinary?
The Brooks Sports IT Cloud Services and Infrastructure Engineering team’s mission is to architect, implement, and support IT infrastructure that empowers our customers to build high quality, business critical workloads in a secure, scalable, highly available, and cost effective, hybrid cloud environment. We’re a team of skilled engineers with a vested interest in the quality and reliability of the systems and services that deliver a consistent and reliable experience to our customers.
As the Senior Cloud Engineer, you will be responsible for building the foundation of Brooks’ continuing journey to the cloud through code and automation, enabling our customers to innovate and create critical applications and services in both public and private cloud environments. You will be a technology and innovation leader, creating and sharing opinions for innovation, reliability, and process improvement. You will bridge the gap between engineering, quality assurance, operations, and management to promote communication, collaboration, and innovation. You will focus on private and public cloud infrastructure and automation to create and implement software systems and manage code releases. You must have a strong sense of ownership and accountability, be ready to work in a fast-paced environment with lots of ambiguity and constant change and be an expert in your craft and draw from your experience to inspire and deliver positive change to an evolving IT organization.
NOTE: This role is located in Seattle, WA at our HQ.
- Independently lead strategic initiatives and present project proposals and status to senior leadership
- Automate infrastructure provisioning in VMWare, Amazon Web Services, Azure, and VMWare with Terraform and Ansible
- Build DevOps infrastructure and application CICD pipelines from scratch
- Administer Windows Server operating system
- Perform storage and server data backups, data migration, and disaster recovery operations.
- Integrate developed patterns into CICD build and delivery pipelines to support engineering teams
- Develop detailed advanced technical documentation that support tasks such as system setup, architecture diagrams, configuration guidelines, and operational support
- Ensure adherence to security standards and policies in collaboration with Information Security
- Mentor junior engineers on the Cloud Services and Infrastructure team through paired programming, peer reviews, and knowledge sharing
- Drive decision making by being an advocate for innovation and continuous improvement through self-paced research and development
- Actively participate in code reviews as a subject matter expert
- Troubleshoot and resolve all issues related to:
- - VMWare (storage, networking, virtual machines)
- - Monitoring and alerting
- - SSO integrations
- - SSL certificate renewal and deployment
- - Basic networking
- - Windows/Linux operating systems
- - Active Directory
- - Local Area Networks & Services (AD, DNS, DHCP)
- 7+ years experience as a Windows Server systems administrator
- 7+ years experience implementing and supporting virtual environments using VMWare
- 7+ years experience using public cloud (EC2, Lambda, Azure VMs, S3, Azure Blob Storage, VPCs, vNets, load balancers, IAM). AWS and Azure preferred
- Advanced hands-on experience with public cloud technologies (AWS preferred), source code management best practices, and continuous delivery tools and pipelines
- Experience as a cloud engineer, automation engineer or similar software engineering role using automation and orchestration technologies (GitHub Actions, Jenkins, CircleCI, Ansible, Azure DevOps, GitLab CI, Bitbucket Pipelines, etc.)
- Experience with modern git-based source code control repositories (i.e., GitLab, Azure DevOps, GitHub, Bitbucket)
- Experience with containerization, artifact repository, and orchestration technologies; Docker, Kubernetes, AWS ECS/Fargate
- Experience with entire DevOps lifecycle - Orchestration, Configuration, CI/CD, Monitoring, Security
- Extensive experience with infrastructure as code tools (Terraform and/or CloudFormation)
- Extensive experience developing scripts in common languages like Python, Groovy, and/or Bash
- Experience with building scripting tools (Maven, etc.)
- Working knowledge and experience with the SDLC (requirements gathering, planning, design, development, testing, deployment, and troubleshooting/support)
- Demonstrates creative thinking and innovative approaches using multiple technologies and works to clarify technical ambiguity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating effective listening through concise, clear verbal and written communication.
- Demonstration of innovation and initiative – always looking at improving our products and processes while also displaying a willingness to dive into the details and help wherever necessary.
- Possess the ability to work effectively within project teams, as well as possess self-motivation to provide excellent individual contribution.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships within all levels of the organization.
- Passionate about building an innovative culture
- Embraces and lives the Brooks values!
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from$108,935 per year in our lowest geographic market up to $198,739 per year in our highest geographic market. Base pay offered will consider the specific geographic market and will vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
Brooks is proud to offer a robust benefits package to our employees and their families!
Benefits- including medical, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance, HSA and employer contribution, FSA, family & fertility assistance, 401K Savings Plan and match, employee assistance program, and transportation assistance.
Paid Time Off- Brooks offers generous time off including three to five weeks of paid time off, eleven paid holidays, paid sick and parental leave.
Bonus- in addition to base pay, Brooks employees may also be offered an annual bonus based on company performance.
Perks- including product discounts, employee recognition, fitness discounts, volunteer and donation benefits.
Location- You will spend 3 to 4 days per week in our Seattle offices, depending on your role, as we believe our organization flourishes when connections, collaboration, creativity, problem-solving, and celebrations happen in person.
At Brooks, we celebrate diversity & equity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment, and encourage people of all backgrounds, perspectives, experiences, and skills to apply. Brooks is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, two-spirit identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related conditions), honorable discharge or military status, protected citizen status, actual or perceived victims of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, HIV or Hepatitis C infection, political ideology, use of a trained guide dog by a person with a disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, or any other non-merit based factors.