Detention Deputy Sheriff Trainee
Jefferson County, Colorado
Golden, CO, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
The Jefferson County Sheriff's Office is now accepting applications for the position of Detentions Deputy Sheriff for an academy beginning 2024.THIS IS NOT A COLORADO POST CERTIFIED POSITION Starting Hourly Pay***$30.29/hr***Apply now to be a Detentions Deputy Sheriff with the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office to Protect, Serve and Enforce with the best agency in the country! We Are Looking For
- Individuals with integrity, excellence, and respect who have been called to a life of service, and have lived their lives accordingly
- Good people who represent the vibrant diversity of the community we serve and measure up to the high standards our community expects
- Men and women willing to learn law, policy, and procedure, and apply those in a fair, impartial, and equitable manner
- Attends additional areas of detention facility, maintaining security and control of inmates and jail; prevents inmate violence, breaking up fights and subduing combative inmates, as necessary; performs crisis intervention as needed, including suicide prevention, etc.; reviews incident reports from previous shift; and conducts cell searches for contraband, as required. May provide field training and evaluate new deputy sheriff recruits, planning and coordinating training through regular meetings of field training instructors. Escorts inmates within the detention facility and maintains safety and security of the Minimum-Security Facility and Work Release Unit.
- Utilizes computerized data entry equipment and various word processing and database programs to enter, store and/or retrieve information on inmates. Summarizes data in standard reports. Prepares various logs, forms and reports, documenting movement and activities of inmates, grievance allegations, incidents of violation of rules, notable behavior, potential safety hazards, problems with facility hardware, criminal activity, etc.
- Maintains control of inmates’ activities, including supervising distributions of meals, commissary razors, medications and other items to inmates; supervises visitations of inmates and assists visitors; and inspects items brought to jail for inmates. Communicates with inmates, giving information and directions, mediating disputes, listens to and investigates inmates’ complaints; resolves inmates’ conflicts and problems; and makes recommendations to Disciplinary Board or Administrative Sergeant, as appropriate.
- Operates central control center panel and monitors security cameras and television monitors to view areas of detention facility, as assigned; performs visual and audio surveillance of doors and activities of inmates and staff; receives inquiries and provides information as requested; controls outside entries, elevators, doors, etc., ensuring entry and exit of authorized persons; and responds to fire alarms and radio panic alarms, determining the location of the Deputy Sheriff in need of assistance and directing deputies to help.
- Assigns inmates to housing locations in the detention facility; supervises inmates during booking process and advises inmates of rules and regulations; and escorts inmates and locks prisoners in assigned housing locations.
- Attends seminars, clas ses, training and le ctures, etc., as appropriate, to enhance and maintain knowledge of trends and developments in the field of corrections. Appears in court as a witness to give testimony.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must be 21 years of age by hire date
- Must have valid Colorado driver's license by hire date
- Written testing
- Oral interviews
- Polygraph exam
- Background investigation to include a criminal, driving, reference, work, and credit history checks
- Medical exam (job specific testing)
- Psychological exam
- Work rotating shifts, weekends, andholidays
- Applicants must be able to lawfully purchase and carry a firearm under Federal and State laws.
- PLEASE COMPLETE THE APPLICATION IN ITS ENTIRETY INCLUDINGEDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE. PROOFREAD FOR ACCURACY AND COMPLETENESS.
- Please include all jobs and volunteer work for the last 10 years
- All applications must be submitted prior to the closing date and time
- Please log in regularly to check for status updates.
- You may only apply for this position one time per hiring process