Join us. Do Work that Matters!
MobilizeGreen seeks a conservation minded Engineering Intern to serve 52 weeks with the Modoc National Forest. The Engineering Resource Assistant (RA) will assist with a variety of engineering tasks there. There will be ample field assignments, as well as office work duties. Key assignments will include supporting infrastructure field inspections and monitoring, drinking water sample collection, forest signage coordination for roads/trails/recreation sites, surveying, design and drafting, contract preparation, and construction inspection. Candidates interested in permanent employment are encouraged to apply, as Modoc NF is holding a vacant position with hopes of converting a successful RA after their one-year assistantship.
The Resource Assistants Program is designed for recent graduates and new professionals to launch their natural and cultural resources careers. The RA will receive hands-on learning experience, mentorship, and coaching to complete mission-critical work while developing leadership, critical thinking, and strategic communication skills. This is a developmental program.
MobilizeGreen is an organization committed to diversity. Women, people of color, indigenous people, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, military veterans, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are encouraged to apply.
Location: The Modoc National Forest, situated in extreme northeastern California, boasts an ecologically diverse landscape. It is one of the largest national forests in California at about 1.65 million acres. Administratively it is managed from the Forest Supervisor’s Office in Alturas and two zones encompassing four ranger districts with offices in Adin, Tulelake, Alturas and Cedarville. With a population of about 10,000 the County is among the most rural in California. The Modoc lifestyle has much to offer, being more rural and remote. If you are looking for a place that offers a low stress lifestyle and safe community, the Modoc is for you. Alturas is situated in the high desert country with a population of ~3000 inhabitants and is the Modoc County seat. The County population is <10,000 people. Alturas is a full-service community with a hospital, clinics, dentists, chiropractors, restaurants, hotels, a movie theater, grocery stores, a golf course, banks, automobile part stores, and other businesses.
Term: 52 weeks, starting on February 5, 2024 to January 31, 2025; Full Time/ 40 hours per week
Host Unit: Modoc National Forest
Duty Station: Combination of remote work, and in person in Modoc National Forest- Supervisors Office, 225 W 8th St, Alturas, CA 96101
- Weekly Stipend of $750 per week
- $1000 per month housing stipend
- Hands on learning and job training experience
- Site travel stipend eligible
- 2-year direct hiring certificate with the Forest Service (with successful completion and 960 hours)
- Health insurance option available at no cost to Resource Assistant
- Mentorship for career and professional development
- Serves as a key technical assistant to the engineering department, helping manage a wide variety of major and minor infrastructure projects to support coworkers, partners, and the visiting public.
- Supports the Forest sign program & helps oversee the sign crew of 2-3 laborers.
- Performs field inspections & monitoring of facilities, roads, dams, caves, mines, special uses.
- Assists with project surveying, contract preparation & contract administration, including COR duties.
- Inspects construction projects and helps oversee contractors and forest crews.
- Drinking water system support including sampling & testing.
- Provides other technical support to various Forest programs & departments.
Work Environment: The position involves work across the 1.65-million-acre Modoc National Forest. The RA will be a full member of the Modoc engineering department and expected to attend weekly team meetings. The RA may be required to travel and work in developed and remote locations on the forest, independently, and in teams. Fieldwork and administrative work in an office are both required. Driving on and navigating forest roads, including using 4 wheel drive vehicles in steep terrain, may be required. Occasional cross-country hiking may also be required. Requires working in a wide variety of terrain and weather throughout the year.
- Associate's degree or higher in Construction or Engineering
- Willingness to learn
- Multi-tasking skills
- Education or experience in engineering technology, roads/trails/facilities management, or other applicable technical resource program
- Organization skills, common sense, and attention to detail
- Customer-service oriented; team player
- Knowledge and/or experience with technical desktop and mobile software including AutoCAD, GIS, GPS
- A valid driver's license
Competitive selection process; positions filled on a rolling basis. We encourage you to apply ASAP.