Production Support Engineer
Production Support EngineerAbout the Organization About the Organization
Since 1981, Outdoor Research has been building award-winning outdoor clothing and gear. We stand behind every product we make with the Outdoor Research Infinite Guarantee® warranty. Find out how we were born from our founder Ron Gregg's research-led approach to problem solving, and discover the origins of our first products in Our Story. Discover our roots in U.S. manufacturing, our legacy in Made in the USA tactical gloves, and our response to the COVID-19 pandemic with the development of face masks and medical-grade personal protective equipment in Protection. Learn about our product processes using recycled materials, how we enforce the safety and wellbeing of our workplaces, and our commitment to all people and the planet in Responsibility. Meet some of our community members who work to create safe, accessible, and equitable outdoor spaces in our Community Partnerships and our Ambassadors. We'd be thrilled to have you join the team and find your Career at Outdoor Research.
Outdoor Research Values
Curiosity: We are constantly striving to learn and improve ourselves. In our products, as a brand, as a team, and as individuals.
Passion: We love what we do and take pride in sharing our work with others.
Innovation: We are complex problem solvers.
Collaboration: We are better together.
Community: We embrace the collective impact we can have from our diverse perspectives; on each other, society, and our environment. Position Production Support Engineer Description
Rate: $28.00 per hour
About this role
We are looking for a Production Support Engineer to work closely with our domestic sewing factories in Seattle and LA. This is a hands-on role where you will be a key problem-solver regarding both production and quality challenges in the factories. You will work closely with production teams and managers to identify areas that need improvement and spearhead the implementation of solutions. Some responsibilities include designing and building work-aids, troubleshooting fabric-cutting machinery, testing new materials, programming CNC sewing machines, and analyzing quality data.
- Familiarity (or willingness to become familiar) with production machinery such as sewing machines, CNC sewing machines, die presses, and cutting tables.
- Familiarity with production support machinery such as laser cutters, 3D-printers, drill presses, and basic shop tools.
- Conceptualize, design, and create production work aids, jigs, and machines.
- Utilize existing machines, modify existing equipment, and build new equipment to drive improved performance, quality, and safety throughout the factory.
- Work closely with production teams to understand their needs and cooperatively develop solutions.
- Compile, analyze, and present quality data.
- Assist with new material and product testing.
- Work autonomously as a member of a small team.
- Manage a couple projects at one time in a production environment.
- Consistently meet presented timelines.
- Clearly communicate both technical and non-technical information to managers.
- Inquire about current machines and processes to find ways to improve them.
- Undergraduate degree in engineering, preferably mechanical or manufacturing
- Self-motivated and directed.
- Extreme curiosity and interest in how things work paired with strong creativity to improve and solve challenges.
- Experience in the sewing industry is a plus.
- Basic knowledge and understanding of electrical/mechanical systems.
- 3D modeling competence is a plus.
- Ability to work in a multilingual environment.
- Ability to collaborate closely with production teams and other internal teams.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must possess excellent organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task, maintain proper focus and excellent attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook required.
- 0-2 years' experience in a similar position
What do we bring to the table?
- 11 paid holidays each year and 3 floating holidays
- Transportation benefits
- PTO and sick/safe time
- Paid volunteer time
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans
- 401K with discretionary company match
- Bouldering wall
- Product discounts
- Employee interest groups including various sports activities and our one and only Fun Force club
OR supports this commitment with an Affirmative Action Program, which is updated annually. The
objectives of the Affirmative Action Program are to ensure that our team reflects the diversity of our local community. We fully support affirmative action to include women, ethnic minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities throughout our workforce. The OR Affirmative Action Program is available for review by all employees and is maintained in the Human Resources Department.
This position is currently accepting applications.