Manager, Customer Service
San Francisco, CA, USA · Remote
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2023
Peak Design makes radical, meticulously-engineered gear for detail-obsessed people. Our backpacks, travel bags, camera gear, and phone accessories are used dang-near everywhere. If you’ve visited Machu Picchu, Tokyo, or an REI store in the last 10 years, you’ve been within ogling distance of a Peak Design product.
Alongside our award-winning gear is a brand that truly reflects who we are as people—passionate about design, deeply caring about our environmental and social impact, unafraid to speak up, radically transparent, and generally down to clown. Whether we’re explaining a product, running a sale, launching a nonprofit, sponsoring a film, or razzing the biggest company on Earth, we do it with our trademark honesty, warmth, and wit. Through our products and our brand, we aim to create delight, and leave this world better than how we found it.
ABOUT THE JOB
In this role, you’ll lead a team of dedicated customer support advocates, handle escalated service situations, and manage the platforms & partnerships utilized by the customer service team. You’ll work closely with our operations, product, marketing, tech & retail teams to ensure that we are providing top-tier support and service to our customers at every interaction.
You’ll help to define and drive the strategy and roadmap of our customer support team and customer service initiatives. You’ll maintain an eagle eye over every customer support touchpoint, and identify & prioritize areas to optimize for efficiency and improve upon for customer satisfaction. You’ll help to drive the evolution of our customer support offerings according to our business and brand priorities. You'll be the voice of the customer within our company, constantly pushing for cross-departmental improvements based on their feedback and needs.
What You'll Do
- Lead & grow a dedicated team of customer service representatives, providing training, guidance, and support as needed.
- Develop, implement, and uphold customer service procedures and protocols, ensuring they align with our company's mission and values.
- Handle escalated service situations, providing resolution that leaves our customers feeling valued and heard.
- Collaborate with other departments (operations, product, marketing, retail, web/tech, etc.) to improve our products and services based on customer feedback.
- Track, analyze, and report on customer service metrics to drive improvements.
- Manage relationships with external vendors & partners.
- Coordinate with our product & marketing teams to keep abreast of new releases & product updates.
- 5+ years of experience in a customer service management/leadership role, including:
- developing and implementing customer service procedures and standards
- managing and scaling a remote, e-commerce customer support team serving an international customer base
- use of relevant platforms & plugins, e.g. Gladly, Bazaarvoice, ShipUp, Happy Returns, Attentive, Klaviyo, Thankful, Medallia, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including:
- ability to write out help documentation and policies concisely and while maintaining brand voice
- experience briefing senior leaders, leading company-wide presentations, and running efficient meetings
- experience working collaboratively across departments, and managing external partnerships and vendors
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, including:
- experience and comfort handling escalated service situations effectively
- adaptability when it comes to performing and leading effectively in stressful or busy situations
- knowledge of key customer service metrics, and leveraging them to drive improvements
- understanding of competitive e-commerce/retail support landscape and trends
- You're capable of navigating surprise roadblocks with rational and innovative thinking. You're a self-described systems thinker who enjoys optimizing workflows.
- Your reside in or are willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area and can work from our office in the Dogpatch neighborhood at least 1-2 days per week. (While we are open to remote candidates, an in-office presence is strongly preferred).
Our interview process for this role is as follows:
1) Phone screen, 20-30 min
2) Zoom interview, 45-60 min
3) Onsite/final interviews, 90-120 min
WHAT WE OFFER
- 100% covered employee premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options
- Life/AD&D, long-term disability, and short-term disability coverage
- Generous mental health and fertility health reimbursement options
- 401(k) plan with employer matching
- Unlimited PTO policy, 12 paid company holidays, and flexible work schedules
- 100% paid parental leave
- Peak Design product and exclusive industry discounts
- Monthly cell phone reimbursement
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Annual career development stipend
- Charitable donation program with employer matching
- Quarterly onsite or offsite collaboration weeks with the whole Peak Design team
Thanks to the folks at Outside Magazine, we can tell you that Peak Design is an objectively great place to work. Why? We provide opportunities to go deep in your craft, work both autonomously and collaboratively, drive your professional growth, and recharge with flexible Fridays and unlimited paid time off -- the saucy list of perks and benefits goes on. So, how do we maintain this exquisite way of working while also pulling off an exceptionally thoughtful brand and product line? A close-knit culture that values transparency, community, trust, and questioning the status quo.
Many employees find the way we run our business to be radically different from what they’ve experienced elsewhere. You might call it the opposite of micromanagement: employees are often expected to set their own priorities and roadmaps for their areas of the business. Who thrives here? Self-starters. Question-askers. People who make their own to-do lists. Folks who can do a little bit of everything. People who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty with nitty-gritty details in order to see a vision through.
If you prefer to work in a more traditional corporate environment, Peak Design might not be the place for you. But if you’re pickin’ up what we’re putting down, we look forward to hearing from you!
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION & BELONGING
At Peak Design we believe a diverse team is an innovative team and something worth celebrating. A range of perspectives and backgrounds creates a stronger and more creative work environment (not to mention more fun). We’re committed to equality and inclusivity across race, gender, age, religion, identity, and experience.
Some candidates may see a long list of job requirements and feel discouraged because they don’t match every single bullet point – we strongly encourage you to apply anyway! If what we do resonates with you, and you feel excited and able to contribute, we’re equally stoked for the opportunity to engage with you.
Peak Design provides reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in the job application and interview process (including if you have any difficulty using our online system). If you need such an accommodation, please complete the application form below.