Immigration Paralegal Assistant
At Perkins Coie, we look for self-motivated individuals, dedicated to providing value and superior service and who have a high degree of integrity and enthusiasm for their work. We have created a company culture based on collaboration, devotion to serving our clients, and mutual respect. Perkins Coie is committed to advancing diversity and inclusion both within the firm and throughout our collective communities. Work with one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For and receive great health insurance, tuition reimbursement, and paid sabbaticals.
Under supervision, assist paralegals, lawyers, and clients with a variety of entry-level paralegal duties. Maintain positive contact with clients and observe confidentiality.
These essential functions are primary job duties that incumbents must be able to perform unassisted or with some reasonable accommodation.
- Assist with filings with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), U.S. Department of Labor (DOL), and U.S. Department of State (DOS).
- Assemble complex immigration petitions and ready them for submission (will require learning many varieties of petitions).
- Assemble Public Access Files.
- Conduct factual research and analysis.
- Create and maintain up-to-date electronic and hard copy records.
- Prepare initial draft correspondence to clients and agencies.
- Prepare letters transmitting USCIS and DOL notices.
- Take ownership of USCIS and DOL notices, and track and log case information into the appropriate docket, WIP log, and/or case management software. Update and distribute notices to the team.
- Run reports using case management software for team tracking case expiration deadlines, need for extensions, and/or other filings.
- Maintain positive contact with attorneys and paralegals and observe confidentiality of client matters.
- Provide excellent client service.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Be present at work during regularly scheduled working hours and as needed in the job position, consistent with the firm’s attendance expectations.
SPECIFIC SKILLS REQUIRED
- Attention to detail is a must.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with firm lawyers and staff, client personnel, and other professionals.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments, work well under pressure, and have flexibility to assist the team in meeting client demands on accelerated schedules.
SPECIFIC SKILLS PREFERRED
- Ability to take initiative and to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Experience with immigration procedures a plus.
- Knowledge of federal immigration laws is a plus.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Requires a high school diploma and a minimum of one year of related experience as a paralegal assistant or in a legal administrative support role in a relevant field.
- Associate or bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Paralegal Certificate a plus.
- Familiarity with commonly used programs such as Outlook, Excel, and OneNote a plus.
This position is eligible for an annual discretionary bonus, 401(k) plan, medical, dental, and vision insurance, accrued paid time off plan starting at 20 days annually, personal medical and parental leave, up to ten paid Holidays, and family care benefits. More information regarding benefits and programs may be found here.
This position may be filled in the following location(s). The compensation depends on qualifications and experience.
Washington State compensation range: $46,610 to $66,340 annually