Vice President Finance
Puffin Drinkwear is… an inclusive brand that makes personality infused apparel for your drink to wear. We call it Drinkwear. We’re focused on having Fun Together and are seeking an individual who embodies similar fun-loving qualities to help grow our community and contribute to our mission.
We’re looking for... A Vice President of Finance who will connect numbers to what is happening in the business and communicate in a way that drives others to action. Partnering with the business to provide critical financial perspective and insight for business strategies to help the team make data-driven decisions. Puffin openly supports workplace flexibility, however, as a tight team we place exceptional value on collaboration and are an “In-Office” work environment operating as a team physically together in an exceptional workspace. (You’ll love it, our office is located in Bend, Oregon near all sorts of good stuff).
As our new Vice President of Finance... Reporting to the CEO, this position provides critical oversight to business performance, variance analysis, corrective action taking, and ongoing priority setting to achieve profitable growth. You will lead the Finance team to efficiently execute Finance and Accounting processes and monitor results. You will balance strategic level activities with overseeing and performing day-to-day accounting functions.
In a typical month you will… Lead the finance team to manage cash flow, review and pay vendor invoices, review A/R aging to minimize past due balances, reconcile balance sheet accounts, work closely with vendors and lenders, prepare variance analysis to budget and prior year and publish monthly financials to PLT (Puffin Leadership Team), Board and banks, update financial forecasts and do lots of problem solving.
You’re a good fit for this role if... you have a founded point of view and work well collaborating cross-functionally. You are detail-oriented, thrive in an entrepreneurial team environment, and have a proven track record of providing accurate and timely financial statements while overseeing day-to-day accounting functions. You like to roll up your sleeves and do real work. Spreadsheets are your friend. As an INC. 5000 Fastest Growing Company, we regularly bump into “new” problems to solve, however, we’ve invested in the required systems to limit the firefighting. That being said, a resilient, creative, and entrepreneurial leader with a “can figure it out” attitude will thrive at Puffin as we evaluate if boundaries exist for Puffin within the marketplace. Your experience and passion will lead to the next level. You are an effective planner with an analytical mind but are equally enthusiastic about digging in and solving challenges as they arise.
In return, you’ll get from us… an inclusive team of people to grow with. We are open to new ideas and can’t wait to hear your thoughts on how you can improve our financial processes, cash utilization, and general operations. Exposure and participation with our Board (PE backed), existing and future investors, and all primary finance partners. We are selective and hire only great people and therefore are accustomed to extending independence and autonomy. Puffin is committed to living true to our Values (Fun - Creativity - Curiosity - Community – Generosity) and expect our employees to call us out if we fall short.
- Let us know why you'd be a great fit for Puffin Drinkwear.
- Share your résumé.
- Send to: email@example.com
Job Title: Vice President of Finance
Location: Bend, Oregon
Financial Analysis and Reporting
● Create, publish, and present regular reporting package to PLT, Board, and banks.
● Prepare analyses of actuals to forecast and prior year. Investigate and explain material and/or unusual variances.
● Support and participate in capital raises (as applicable)
● Create reports, analyses, and recommendations to identify profit enhancing opportunities, and proactively work with the PLT to action higher profitability initiatives including pricing, COGS, and operational efficiency.
Planning and Forecasting
· Lead the annual budget and periodic forecasting processes for the organization, including alignment across departments, establishing effective processes that drive quality and accuracy.
· Maintain cash flow and processes so the company maximizes cash position.
Oversee Day to Day Accounting Functions
· Assist Accounting Manager as needed with A/P and A/R functions.
· Calculate Borrow Base Certificates on a weekly basis for bank
· Month end reconciliation processes
· Review and schedule vendor payments (prioritize as required)
· Lead/delegate A/R collection activities
· Support select HR functions including payroll and employee on-boarding
· Sales taxes
Qualifications and Skills:
● Proven experience as a Controller, VP of Finance or CFO or in a similar executive financial leadership role.
● Exceptional financial modeling and analytical skills.
● Strong knowledge of accounting principles as well as financial and tax regulations.
● Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
● Experience in the consumer products industry is a plus.
● Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance; CPA designation is preferred.
● Having worked in a smaller, growing entrepreneurial company is highly valued.
● Proven leadership experience including leading change and developing strong teams. Coach, mentor and develop existing professionals and motivated individuals.
● Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple priorities.
● Self-starter that can thrive in both a corporate and start-up environment.
● High level of organizational skills and attention to detail.
● Capable working / leading at both a strategic/conceptual level and a detailed, operational level; is metrics driven; and highly disciplined.
● Strong skills working with MS Outlook (Excel - including Pivots and V Look Ups, PowerPoint, Teams) and project management software (Asana).
● Strong understanding and comfort working within ERP systems (Microsoft 365 Business Central a plus)
● Healthcare: Medical, Dental, Vision (Puffin covers 95% employee premium)
● 401k: 4% Employer Match
● Competitive Policies: PTO (4 weeks), Holidays (10 annually), Work from Home (WFM), Summer Hours, and Sabbatical
● Career development and advancement (Grow with us!)
● Quarterly Company events, activities, and give-back volunteer opportunities via Puffin’s Good Together initiative
● Unlimited good times
More about Puffin Drinkwear:
We create “drinkwear” that brings smiles, personality, conversation, and fun. Our tagline of Fun Together is no accident. We were founded in 2019 in Bend, Oregon. Tyrone Hazen, Founder and Head of Partnerships, was out enjoying a campfire with friends. As banter continued Tyrone was handed the remnant of an old sleeping bag to keep his hand warm and bottle cold. He laughed and thought how funny it would be if his bottle had its own sleeping bag. Surrounded by friends and good conversation, the idea for Puffin was born.