Multi-Day Guide - FT Seasonal
REI Co-op is united around discovering, building and celebrating better ways of working in this world, all so that folks can find and pursue a love of the outdoors. When you work for the co-op, you do your best work with the support to live your best life. And you play a part in shaping the future of the outdoors, for people and our planet.
This job contributes to REI’s success by leading groups of clients on multi-day outdoor experience trips across the country. Experience trips may include hiking, backpacking, road cycling, and mountain biking, with accommodation styles ranging from basic camping to high-end lodge-based trips. Multi-day guides are professional guides matched and focused on providing unparalleled customer service, food quality, well-researched and delivered local interpretation, and have the skill and demeanor to facilitate a safe and fun experience for our guests. You models and act by REI’s guiding values and mission.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
How you will be successful:
- Take guests on multi-day tours, assuring the trip meets the advertised content and itinerary while demonstrating exemplary customer service, ensuring a five-star guest experience.
- Hold conversations, read social cues, and adjust presentation style. Facilitate introductions and relations between guests.
- Ensure safe practices and procedures are followed at all times.
- Demonstrate cultural awareness and involvement, share in-depth knowledge of regional destinations and/or cultural activities (e.g., art, natural and cultural history, food, and wine)
- Demonstrate in-depth expertise at a local level to ensure a quality experience – e.g., geography, geology, local flora/fauna, and other elements that set the guest experience apart.
- Meal preparation, ensuring safe cooler and food management
- Communicate the itinerary and important information with all guests in a fun and exciting way (pre-trip, debriefs, orientations, safety talks, regional/cultural information, etc.)
- Set clear expectations for the guests about schedule, safety, and their responsibilities to the group. Offer suggestions and appropriate warnings when needed.
- Provide thorough feedback and ideas for improvement.
- Mentor or train new Guides, as assigned
- Be open and candid with teammates and Guides, and be comfortable providing constructive feedback.
As assigned, perform Trip Run duties, such as:
- Act as final on-site outcome maker about last-minute trip itinerary changes, crisis and risk management, compliance, conflict resolution, and group management
- Operate as head contact for home office and vendor communication and logistics for 3rd party service providers.
- Complete all required documentation, including Post Trip Reports and Expense Reports.
- 2+ years experience in guiding outdoor and/or overnight tours and/or outdoor educational skills/programs in a group setting
- Must have a valid, state-issued driver’s license with an acceptable driving background and the ability to obtain a medical examiner’s certificate, which includes a physical and drug screen.
- Certification in Wilderness First Aid and CPR
- Wilderness First Responder certification
- Must be skilled in at least two activities for which we run trips, such as Hiking, Camping, Backpacking, Road Cycling, Mountain Biking, etc.
At REI, we believe the outdoors is for all. We are committed to becoming a fully inclusive, anti-racist, multicultural organization. We know that there's strength in our diversity – that each employee brings unique skills, experiences, and perspectives. Every day you are driving change, fostering a culture of respect, and knowing you're backed by benefits that support your whole life. To work towards this commitment and fulfill our brand promise of inspiring and enabling a life outside for everyone, we seek employees who demonstrate different ways of working, create a sense of belonging, and actively listen and learn.
We are committed to practices that promote pay equity and transparency. As required by applicable Pay Transparency laws, REI provides a range of compensation for roles that may be hired in locations under these requirements. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include a wide array of factors, including: your specific skills and experience, geographic location or other relevant factors.
REI offers all regular employees a generous employee discount, access to health benefits, a retirement savings plan and accrued time off. Click here for a detailed overview of benefits plans by employee profile.
$17.67 - $21.83 per hour