New York Exp HUB - Day Guide
REI Co-op is united around discovering, building and celebrating better ways of working in this world, all so that folks can find and pursue a love of the outdoors. When you work for the co-op, you do your best work with the support to live your best life. And you play a part in shaping the future of the outdoors, for people and our planet.
Come shape the future of the outdoors.
This position contributes to the REI Co-op’s success by leading, teaching, and inspiring guests on REI’s single-day or overnight outdoor experiences. Day Guides operate under limited supervision; they run day programs and tours, select overnight trips, and are responsible for program preparation, delivery, and reporting, managing program logistics, assessing and mitigating risks, and providing on-site incident management.
Guides ensure guests participate in an inclusive, enjoyable, and interactive environment and serve as subject matter experts and inspirational teachers, drawing from natural, historical, and cultural knowledge. Guides provide exceptional customer service and high hospitality and personalization while exercising sound judgment and maintaining group safety to exceed guest expectations. Guides model and act by the co-op’s guiding values and mission. Guide qualifications vary depending on the type of programming led and the location of the activity.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
How you will be successful:
- Facilitate inclusive outdoor experiences, sharing cultural, historical, and natural knowledge to equip and inspire members and customers, fostering a new generation of outdoor enthusiasts and environmental stewards.
- Promote REI membership and share information about the co-op’s products, services, and community programs.
- Prepare programs, including learning/developing content, preparing equipment and materials, and coordinating program logistics.
- Transports participants and gear to and from designated in-field activity locations and storage locations.
- Provide first aid response to participants and follow emergency procedures.
- Support program operations and delivery through other duties as assigned.
- Experience in guiding outdoor tours, outdoor educational skills/programs, or transferrable teaching experiences in a group setting.
- Personal and/or professional experience in at least one of these activities: Climbing, Kayaking, Stand-up Paddle-boarding, Hiking, Backpacking, Mountain Biking, Snowshoeing, Cross-Country Skiing, and Outdoor Skills.
- Must have a valid, state-issued driver’s license with an acceptable driving background and the ability to obtain a medical examiner’s certificate, which includes a physical and drug screen.
- First Aid and CPR certification. (If a candidate is hired without current certifications, the candidate must complete within the first three months of hire; in some locations, based on performance, a scholarship may be considered)
- Wilderness First Aid or Responder certification preferred (Wilderness First Aid or Responder may be a job requirement in some locations. If required and a candidate is hired without current certifications, the candidate must complete within the first three months of hire; in some locations, based on performance, a scholarship may be considered)
- Relevant certification in specific activity areas by the industry-standard certifying body (e.g., American Mountain Guides Association, American Canoe Association, etc.)
- Travel within the region to various work locations.
- Experience driving larger vans or trucks with a trailer
At REI, we believe the outdoors is for all. We are committed to becoming a fully inclusive, anti-racist, multicultural organization. We know that there's strength in our diversity – that each employee brings unique skills, experiences, and perspectives. Every day you are driving change, fostering a culture of respect, and knowing you're backed by benefits that support your whole life. To work towards this commitment and fulfill our brand promise of inspiring and enabling a life outside for everyone, we seek employees who demonstrate different ways of working, create a sense of belonging, and actively listen and learn.
We are committed to practices that promote pay equity and transparency. As required by applicable Pay Transparency laws, REI provides a range of compensation for roles that may be hired in locations under these requirements. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include a wide array of factors, including: your specific skills and experience, geographic location or other relevant factors.
REI offers all regular employees a generous employee discount, access to health benefits, a retirement savings plan and accrued time off. Click here for a detailed overview of benefits plans by employee profile.
$19.69 - $24.32 per hour