Senior Director, Global Apparel Design (The North Face)
As a senior leadership team member, the Senior Director of product design apparel provides leadership and vision to drive apparel product design and brand positioning, you will be accountable for establishing the product design vision, strategies, and standards across the global product categories for apparel.
Senior Director, Product Design Apparel
As a trusted and collaborative member of our global apparel leadership team, you will report to the Vice President, Apparel. You’ll lead Apparel product design teams, including performance, performance-inspired and outwear design teams for youth and adult.
How You Will Make a Difference
What you will do:
- Define, champion and protect a global brand design philosophy aligned to the Brand DNA for all product categories
- Communicate product vision and strategy for the brand and customers
- Lead global long-term and seasonal product design direction which includes pre-season concepting
- Provide strategic direction, leadership, mentorship and inspiration to a diverse team of Design Directors managers while driving alignment of the total apparel line
- Foster a culture of innovation, collaboration and continuous improvement promoting professional growth and development of the team
- Establish, maintain and nurture the design direction - to achieve the key goals of being “innovative, technical and authentic”
- Partner with global product leaders and regional partners while directing design approach to create compelling product stories on a seasonal and annual basis.
- Manage the design process budget, including design cost, to deliver on financial targets and KPI including gross margin, style complexity, global commonality, and ultimately sell-through of product
How you will do it:
- Foster and maintain collaborative partnerships with Global Product partners to develop compelling product stories and the Global Marketing leader to establish and drive key brand strategies
- Attract and develop design professionals to enhance individual growth and build a talent pipeline to ensure the future success of the business
- Through actions and example, ensure that values, including inclusion, diversity, social and environmental stewardship, are fully incorporated into business strategies and interactions
What success looks like:
- You are a creative and innovative leader with an engaging and inspiring executive disposition
- You possess the business acumen and consumer understanding with an ability to drive execution and decision-making
- You have a proven history of building strategic working relations with trust and effective communication, and deliver on your commitments
- In building and maintaining a successful team, you coach and develop others with empowerment and by facilitating change while leveraging cultural diversity
- With your leadership skills, you sell the vision, build organizational talent, encourage entrepreneurship, and coach and develop others by leading change
- As you establish strategic direction, you drive for execution with a passion for results
- With global acumen, you cultivate networks with compelling communication, influence, and cultural and interpersonal relationships
- With superior project planning you have an ability to develop and manage multiple timelines and deadlines
- Your proactive approach to identifying the root cause of issues is instrumental in helping you and your teams to seek the best solutions with a values driven commitment to do what is right
Free to Be, Inclusion & Diversity
As a purpose-led, performance driven company, we strive to foster a culture of belonging based on respect, connection, openness, and authenticity. We are committed to building and maintaining a workplace that celebrates the diversity of our associates, allowing them to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
Skills for Success
Years of Related Professional Experience: 15 years or more of progressive experience with 10 years of managerial experience
Formal education and subsequent undergraduate/graduate degrees, such as a master’s or bachelor’s degree, preferably in Art and Design, Fashion, or a related field, are nice to have, but we are most interested in your total experience and professional achievements.
What we expect you already know:
- Profound expertise in product design and creation
- An in-depth knowledge of design techniques, processes, and technology
- A strong comprehension of product construction, color trends, textiles, and materials
- The ability to balance creativity and bottom-line business needs
- A proven ability to create a new concept and bring it to reality
- A strong eye for product aesthetic and visual product merchandising
- Recognition of the brand’s target market and consumer attributes
- A holistic global understanding of regional consumer preferences and market differences
- The ability to negotiate, influence, and collaborate with other key decision-makers in a complex matrixed environment
- Knowledge of costing components and product fabrication with the ability to achieve margin targets
- What we will teach you:
- Career ownership, enabling you to build your knowledge and experience across different brands and even other countries
- To thrive in a supportive feedback-based culture where respect and integrity guide us in what we do
- How to grow, both professionally and personally, with tailored training – from a thorough induction to ongoing online and face-to-face training
- Be part of an inclusive environment where people of diverse backgrounds, lifestyles, and nationalities love working together
- To inspire others to step outside and make it better, make a difference by using purposeful actions first and encourage others to join you, believe in collaboration and work to create positive transformations, and initiate and propose bold ideas for innovation, development, and progress.
VF Guiding Principles: Live with Integrity, Act Courageously, Be Curious, Act with Empathy, and Persevere.
What’s In It for You
We’re in the business of unleashing human potential, driven by the ideas, energy and commitment of our people. That’s why we offer comprehensive benefits that encourage mental, physical and financial well-being for all VF associates. When it comes to benefits, we’re the total package. Go to MyVFBenefits.com and click on “Looking to Join VF?” to learn more.
Our Parent Company, VF Corporation
VF is one of the world’s largest apparel, footwear and accessories companies connecting people to the lifestyles, activities and experiences they cherish through our family of iconic outdoor, active and workwear brands. At the heart of our journey lies our company-wide purpose: We power movements of sustainable and active lifestyles for the betterment of people and our planet. This is our purpose. It’s the reason we come to work every day. It’s a commitment shared by our global associates across all brands. Our purpose unites us and leads us to pursue our goals, together. This is our calling. Learn more at vfc.com.
We just have one question. Are you in?
Pay Range:$194,400.00 USD - $291,600.00 USD annually
This position is eligible for additional compensation awards that may include an annual incentive plan, sales incentive, or commission potential. Specific details of the additional compensation eligibility for this position will be provided during the recruiting and interview process.
This position is eligible to participate in a Long-Term Incentive Plan. Specific details of the plan will be provided during the recruiting and interview process.
Benefits at VF Corporation:
You can review a general overview of each benefit program offered, including this year's medical plan rates on www.MyVFbenefits.com and by clicking Looking to Join VF? Detailed information on your benefits will be provided during the hiring process.
Please note, our pay ranges are determined and built from market pay data. In determining the specific compensation for this position, we comply with all local, state, and federal laws.