Designer Sportswear - THE NORTH FACE
About The North Face, a VF Company
The North Face is the premier exploration company in the world. Founded in the counter culture of Berkeley, CA in 1966 we have a long and storied legacy of enabling exploration, protecting our planet, and creating iconic and technically advanced product.
Our culture is born from the spirit of the Explorer and infuses everything we do. We love wild places. We spark curiosity. We dare to disrupt. We create communities. And we lead with integrity. We are a community of explorers constantly looking for new ideas, places and people to connect with.
What You Will Do
We’re looking for a passionate Sportswear Designer to join The North Face, a VF Company to become part of the Design Team based in Stabio, Switzerland. In this role you will be reporting into the Senior Design Manager, and will be responsible for the design of Sportswear garments within the Men’s & Women’s (Mountain Athletic) apparel collection.
Partnering within the design and product development teams, you will play a central role in creating newness and evolving the existing range. You need to be passionate about sportswear, be commercially in tune, influential and thrive in a team environment.
As a Sportswear Designer for The North Face, you will create the future of sports performance through innovative aesthetic execution. You will have a passion for Innovation, performance apparel & sport. Strong communication skills with teammates across the organization & collaborative problem solving are key. Curiosity and the motivation to discover new methods of make will drive you. You will need to consistently demonstrate process proficiency through best practices and communication of ideas.
- Be a central, hands-on member of the EMEA Design Team. Establishing design & product creation excellence for the EMEA division.
- Research Sportswear, Outdoor & Lifestyle trends and stay up to date on contemporary styles & trends. Target consumer, wearing occasions & market opportunities.
- Work closely with Senior Design Manager to build seasonal concept, collection and development strategy.
- Work in close partnership with Design, Development, Merchandising, and Market Place teams
- Partner with Merchandising team to manage SKU plan, considering commercial needs, key price points, business opportunities and a ‘good, better, best philosophy.
- Create brand right/market-relevant product that meets expectations in terms of value and cost.
- Partner with Cross function team to develop new materials, construction techniques and support research into new developments.
- Working closely and communicating daily on challenges and changes that arise during the development of styles. Partner with the Product Developer & Fit Team to ensure a smooth work flow each season.
- High level of sportswear fabric knowledge plus a strong technical understanding of fits and constructions.
- Working to the Seasonal Calendar to meet deadlines
- Preparing all sketches (2D) for divisional presentations and workbooks.
- Work closely with the Global Team and Agency to align Sportswear design aesthetics, seasonal details and creative ideas.
- Drive agile decision making on prototype reviews and have a strong knowledge of pricing & fit.
- In line with The North Face sustainability goals, play an active role in researching and introducing innovations to help achieve these.
How You'll Make A Difference…
The North Face fundamental mission remains unchanged since 1966: "Provide the best gear for our athletes and the modern day explorers, support the preservation of the outdoors, and inspire a global movement of exploration."
We are looking for a real team player, who brings in creative and positive energy. The North Face product team is dynamic, strong and creative and we are looking for an inspiring personality that is full of energy and wants to push The North Face forward.
- Bachelor Level degree (or equivalent) in Fashion Design
- at least 4 years’ experience in Apparel Design/Sportswear product is a must, across Men’s & Women’s.
- High level of understanding of Sportswear/Activewear
- Strong presentation skills.
- Highly organized with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent organization skills
- Demonstrates a knowledge of fit and construction expertise
- Excellent attention to details
- Strong eye for trends in a sportswear and outdoor environment.
- Ability to build strong relationships with direct colleagues and across departments.
- Able to find best solutions to problems and inspire new working methods.
- A proactive, self-starter with strong communication skills.
- Experience working with overseas factories and fabric suppliers.
- Able to manage responsibilities & tasks without direction.
- Must be flexible and adaptive to change.
- Software skills: Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Microsoft.
- Languages: Excellent English communication & presentation skills.
- Ability to travel internationally, if required.
What’s in it for you?
Most companies like to say they offer a competitive salary, an amazing bonus/benefit and pension scheme as well as staff discounts (btw we offer 50%!). We also do this, only quite different. Because it’s not just our products which set us apart from others. It’s our people and we believe they deserve to be nurtured and looked after.
That’s why, on top of the usual benefits, we offer much more:
Career ownership, enabling you to build your knowledge and experience across different brands and even different countries.
A supportive feedback-based culture where respect and integrity guide us in what we do.
Tailored training. From a thorough induction to ongoing online and face-to-face training, we are committed to helping you grow, both professionally and personally.
An inclusive environment where people of diverse backgrounds, lifestyles and nationalities love working together.
On site gym offering health and well-being initiatives.
Subsidised canteen as well as break out areas offering complimentary hot drinks.
Free to Be, Inclusion & Diversity
As a purpose-led, performance driven company, we strive to foster a culture of belonging based on respect, connection, openness and authenticity. We are committed to building and maintaining a workplace that celebrates the diversity of our associates, allowing them to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, VF is committed to support disadvantaged groups whilst providing equal opportunities for both VF associates and applicants alike.
Please submit your application in English.