Join our Osprey team as our Materials Technician and make an immediate impact. If you love adventure, great gear, and have a passion for the outdoors, you're in good company with our Osprey brand, one of Helen of Troy's trusted leadership brands, including OXO, Hydro Flask, Osprey, Honeywell, PUR, Braun, Vicks, Hot Tools, Drybar. Together, we build innovative and useful products that elevate people's lives everywhere every day
Look around your home, and you'll find us everywhere:
In your kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bathroom. We are already making your everyday lives better. We are powered by knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and forward-thinking people committed to developing a culture of inclusion. Whether you are just starting your career or in need of a challenge, we recognize, develop, and empower talent!
What you will be doing:
The Materials Technician is an integral part of the Materials Team. The Materials Technician addresses some of the detailed technical aspects of production to maintain an environment of continuous improvement. The Materials Technician will operate in detailed materials management with liaison between the brand and supply chain partners including raw material suppliers, contract factories, and third-party test labs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Following up with material supplier for new innovation materials.
- Sources briefed materials for the Design Team following seasonal calendar deadlines.
- Following up with all new material testing standards including physical and chemical 3rd party lab testing.
- Manages raw material approvals and submissions.
- Maintains a clear, benchmarked testing database of approval materials.
- Assist Materials Manager to Foresee and to resolve potential quality problem in development to bulk production.
- Manage the material database which includes new materials and testing reports.
- Maintains the Materials Library with current sample swatch books. This is not specific to fabrics, but includes all textiles, foams, hardware, new materials, etc.
- Closely work with Raw material suppliers to provide necessary documentation such as material specifications, technical guideline, compliance to the Restricted substance list or passed chemical lab test following Bluesign system.
- Works together with Development Team and Production Team on specific raw material projects.
Other duties as assigned. The above is intended to describe the major responsibilities and requirements for this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all duties, responsibilities or requirements.
AUTHORITY & WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
The Materials Technician – Vietnam is authorized to take reasonable action necessary to carry out responsibilities consistent with general guidance of the Materials Manager. The Materials Technician is directly responsible to the Materials Manager.
- Supervision Exercised: None.
- Primary Contacts: Regular contact with the Materials Manager, Material Suppliers, Production Material, Director of Design and Design Team, Sample Room Manager, Director of Development and Development Team, Director of Product and Product Line Management (PLM), Director of Production and Production Team.
- Education, experience and attitude to meet position requirements.
- 5 years of related professional experience.
- Strong knowledge of technical fabrics, webbing, hardware & trim. Good project management and organizational skills
- College Degree preferred and relevant experience. Prior experience in International Companies a distinct advantage.
- Ability to work independently or with limited guidance and manage vendors with little direction.
- Ability to not only anticipate or identify problems, but offer solutions.
- Ability to accept and meet critical deadlines with excellent planning and organization skills.
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills, including meeting facilitation and presentations. Interacts cooperatively in a cross-cultural environment.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft office applications and Product Data Management systems.
- Knowledge of Backpack/Bag construction a plus.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation: Salary dependent on experience and qualifications
Paid Time-Off (PTO): 15 days annual leave, plus 11 Holidays
Benefits: Benefits Package. Lunch provided 5 days a week.
REQUIRED MEETINGS AND TIME/TRAVEL
Participation in all department and general company meetings/functions, and others relating to special assignments, as required. May be required to work outside of normal work hours or attend offsite training/business functions.
Incorporated in 1968, Helen of Troy has grown into a leading global consumer products company with career opportunities in North America, South America, Europe, and Asia. We offer creative solutions for our customers through a diversified portfolio of well-recognized and widely trusted brands, including OXO®, Hydro Flask®, Osprey®, Honeywell®, PUR®, Braun®, Vicks®, Hot Tools®, Drybar®. Most of these brands rank #1 or #2 in their respective categories.
We boldly bring brands into our family, where we nurture what makes them great. We collaborate internally and externally, always striving to provide the consumer-centric innovation, operational excellence, scale, global reach, and stellar shared services to make them soar.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified. Management retains the right to add or to change duties of the position at any time.