Director, Softgoods Development
At YETI, we believe that time spent outdoors matters more than ever and our gear can make that time extraordinary. When you work here, you’ll have the opportunity to create exceptional, meaningful work and problem solve with innovative team members by your side. Together, you’ll help our customers get the high-quality gear they need to make the most of their adventures. We are BUILT FOR THE WILD™.
The Director, Softgoods Development will be responsible for leading YETIs softgoods product development organization, driving the commercialization of world class products across Soft Coolers, Bags & Apparel. This leadership role will manage team resources located in Austin, Texas and Vancouver, BC. This role will own the materials roadmap and collaborate across Product Management, Industrial Design, Supply Chain, and Program Management to help drive YETIs overall softgoods strategy. The position requires extensive knowledge of emerging and sustainable materials as well as construction and manufacturing considerations.
Position Type (See Workplace Approach Below): Onsite
- Partner with Product Management to drive the overall softgoods strategy and product roadmap
- Drive the R&D of new material development and technologies
- Lead, inspire, and develop, a global softgoods development team
- Partner closely with Quality, Production, Sourcing, and other cross-functional teams to ensure product cycle deadlines are met and product standards are upheld within program budgets
- Leverage expertise to guide costing, timelines, feasibility, and materials for the commercialization of soft coolers, bags and apparel
- Ensure materials adhere to established test standards, development calendars, quality, cost and ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) requirements
- Work with YETI quality teams, product safety and compliance, procurement, and material suppliers to support continued adherence to the requirements in our material specifications
- Partner closely with our Color Design Director to implement new color strategies across soft coolers
- Maintain strong partnerships with material suppliers to drive design direction, material performance, timing of production, and quality standards
- Build and maintain material and component library for all softgoods and accessories that align with design needs
- Partner with production on handover ensuring specs and detailed product details are correct, problem solving any pre-production issues
- Oversee all costing, MOQ’s and testing for new materials
- Support team in ensuring lab dibs are executed
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field and at least 12 years of experience in softgoods product development within the consumer goods industry
- Premium brand experience preferred
- At least 8 years of experience scaling, leading and developing teams
- Exceptional collaboration skills across various functions within highly dynamic and global environments
- Product centric leader with a strong sense of curiosity and problem solving
- Experience building relationships and working with global manufacturers and suppliers
- Possesses strong project management skills, ability to think pro-actively, anticipates needs, and innovative thinking
- Strong working knowledge of test standards applicable to fabric, trims, and components used in the technical outdoor goods industry (ASTM, AATCC, ISO, etc.)
- Experience with leveraging product engineering processes like DFMEA, DVP&R, GD&T, and FEA
- Strong working knowledge of finished goods construction, material construction and properties, fabric goods patterning, and manufacturing technologies
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and energetic environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication and soft skills
- Ability to be a technical resource to the Soft Goods Development team
- Extensive knowledge of supply chain and experience working in Asia is required
- Extreme attention to detail
- Able to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Personal interest in outdoor activities is strongly preferred
- This role requires relocation to Austin, Texas
US Workplace Approach:
- Onsite: Role requires you to be onsite full-time.
- Hybrid: Role requires you to be located in Austin, Texas and is a mixture of onsite and remote.
- Remote: Role is full-time remote.
Approach may vary based on role.
YETI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.