Design Engineer II
At YETI, we believe that time spent outdoors matters more than ever and our gear can make that time extraordinary. When you work here, you’ll have the opportunity to create exceptional, meaningful work and problem solve with innovative team members by your side. Together, you’ll help our customers get the high-quality gear they need to make the most of their adventures. We are BUILT FOR THE WILD™.
You are a highly motivated self-starting Design Engineer II with a proven track record of bringing consumer products to market. You thrive in fast-paced environments with entrepreneurial DNA and are comfortable charting new territory. Your strong organizational skills allow you to stay on top of multiple projects at the same time. Your product design engineering chops allow you to research, create, review, support, and manage. You have a natural curiosity and repeatedly ask the question, “Is there a better way?” You can trouble-shoot and problem-solve every different kind of product, manufacturing, or material challenge thrown your way. In fact, you love solving problems – the bigger the challenge, the more satisfying the resolution.
The Design Engineer II is a core member of the NPD team acting as the bridge from product ideation to production, designing with manufacturing in mind while pushing the envelope of what is possible for the best product performance and user experience.
Position Type (See Workplace Approach Below): Hybrid
- Manage multiple projects from ideation to production
- Translate marketing requirements to technical performance requirements
- Establish product architecture including part breakout and material selection
- Create proof of principle prototypes
- Own all aspects of 3D and 2D CAD
- Utilize CAE analysis tools to raise confidence in design
- Establish product manufacturing specifications and critical to quality metrics
- Collaborate closely with Industrial Design team and vendors to balance intent with manufacturability and performance
- Create and lead design validation testing based on DFMEA
- Drive IP clearance and filings
- Technical documentation of key project decisions and design changes
- Regular reporting to cross-functional and leadership teams on key project indicators – schedule, budget, and quality
Qualifications and Attributes:
- B.S. or higher in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Plastics Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- At least 4 years of Design Engineering experience
- Domestic and international travel is required (up to 20%)
- Proficient in 2D, 3D CAD software (Solidworks preferred)
- Experience with plastics manufacturing (injection molding preferred)
- Experience with multi-component assemblies (mechanisms a plus)
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience using DFMEA as a tool to guide your design
- End-to-End product development experience
- Experience and knowledge of metal component fabrication preferred
- FEA analysis experience (ANSYS, Moldflow preferred)
- Experience working directly with Marketing and Industrial Design teams preferred
This position is based at YETI’s HQ in Austin, Texas, and relocation support will be offered to selected candidate.
US Workplace Approach:
- Onsite: Role requires you to be onsite full-time.
- Hybrid: Role requires you to be located in Austin, Texas and is a mixture of onsite and remote.
- Remote: Role is full-time remote.
Approach may vary based on role.
YETI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Something looks off?