Senior Packaging Engineer
At YETI, we believe that time spent outdoors matters more than ever and our gear can make that time extraordinary. When you work here, you’ll have the opportunity to create exceptional, meaningful work and problem solve with innovative team members by your side. Together, you’ll help our customers get the high-quality gear they need to make the most of their adventures. We are BUILT FOR THE WILD™.
As a Senior Packaging Engineer, you will be responsible for the development and maintenance of packaging in support of all YETI products and its supply chain through the entire product life cycle. This role will be one of the connecting links between YETI, packaging suppliers, and product manufacturers which spans a global presence. Focus will be needed in attaining a premium out-of-box experience for YETI products while taking into account cost, function & performance for supply chain, and sustainability.
Position Type (See Workplace Approach Below): Hybrid
- Lead development of packaging solutions for new and existing products, including all packaging structures related to each project
- Manage packaging specifications, including: dyelines, artwork, material detail, sustainability tracking, pallet patterns, container configurations, and assembly/pack-out steps
- Work cross functionally with Program Managers, Category Managers, Design & Industrial Engineering, Marketing, Merchandising, Operations, International team members, and external suppliers to execute on-time packaging solutions
- Support 3PL and Custom Shop facilities with insight regarding inbound and outbound packaging materials & processes; constantly scanning for ways to increase efficiencies and/or execute special brand moments
- Use strong technical knowledge to guide project team towards solutions that encompass YETI packaging design goals and best practices
- Actively partner with internal & external partners to evaluate packaging materials, designs, and processes for opportunities to improve. Drive & implement key ideas
- Communicate material substrates and cost factors to YETI Creative to ensure printing vision and quality are met
- Manage the packaging timeline for each project while ensuring function, cost-effectiveness, and all milestones are completed in sync with the product launch timeline
- Research and stay up to date on packaging innovations in the marketplace and with suppliers. Able to relay new viable ideas to all major stakeholders in a clear and concise manner.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Bachelor's of Science in Packaging Science/Packaging Engineering or Mechanical Engineering or related degree
- At least 6 years’ experience of Packaging development in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated experience in developing quality, cost-effective, premium packaging solutions
- Demonstrated experience in developing suppliers, supplier processes and scalability
- Able to prioritize activities that have the biggest impact while effectively managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Able to maintain composure and exhibit a high degree of flexibility amongst changing priorities
- Strong knowledge of package printing, paper/paperboard, plastic(s), corrugated materials, and adhesives
- Able to quickly address, trouble-shoot, and provide viable solutions to unexpected problems
- Understands ISTA & ASTM test procedures
- Understands various global customs pertaining to business and developing partnerships
- Strong communication, organizational, and time management skills
- Effective relationship building skills to drive cross-functional resolution
- Excellent interpersonal, written and, verbal communications skills
- Ability to travel domestically and globally up to 20% of the time
- TOPS, MaxLoad Pro, or similar packaging software experience
- PC skills – Microsoft Office, Outlook, Smartsheets
US Workplace Approach:
- Onsite: Role requires you to be onsite full-time.
- Hybrid: Role requires you to be located in Austin, Texas and is a mixture of onsite and remote.
- Remote: Role is full-time remote.
Approach may vary based on role.
YETI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.