BIA WaterCorps Member
BIA WaterCorps Member
Navajo Department of Water Resources – Water Management Branch
Term of positions is 26 weeks; full-time 40 hours per week
Fort Defiance, AZ
Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $3,447.50 (pre-tax).
Application Due Date:
Preference given to applicants that submit application by April 15, 2024
Title of Position
BIA WaterCorps Member
Stewards Individual Placements (Stewards) provides individuals with service and career opportunities to strengthen communities and preserve our natural resources. Participants work with federal agencies, Tribal governments, and nonprofits building institutional capacity, developing community relationships, and supporting ecosystem health.
Stewards in partnership with the Navajo Department of Water Resources – Water Management Branch are seeking an intern who will work on projects to gather field data that will quantify and characterize the water resources on the Navajo Nation.
Position Responsibilities will include:
· Work requires field investigations and data collection over rough terrain in all weather conditions.
· Field work to collect topographic and bathymetric surveying data to model lakes on the Navajo Nation to quantify storage.
· Field work to collect Navajo Nation crop inventory data of irrigated farms located along the San Juan River in New Mexico.
· Collect precipitation, stream gauging, and snow survey data to assist the Navajo Nation in water monitoring and inventory
· Possess a valid state driver’s license with a good driving history
· Willing to undergo and pass a required criminal history checks.
· A strong interest in a career in natural resource conservation science.
· You must be eligible to serve in AmeriCorps State & National Direct Service programs (must not have served more than 4 terms in AmeriCorps).
· You must be available to work a 40-hour week for the 26-week term
· You must be between 18 and 34 years of age.
· You must have received a High School Diploma or GED
· You must be a member of a Federally recognized Indian Tribe, Band, or Village; Alaska Native; or meet one of the following descriptions:
o Persons who possess at least one-half degree Indian blood derived from Tribes Indigenous to the United States.
o Descendants of Members of Federally recognized Indian Tribes, Bands or Communities who were residing on any Indian Reservation on June 1, 1934 – shown by completing BIA Form 4432.
· Pursuant to CAU-48-21, the Navajo Nation established a Covid-19 vaccination requirement for all Navajo Nation government employees. Employees must be fully vaccinated and received a booster shot. Employees who are not fully vaccinated, for any reason, against COVID-19 are required to provide documentation to their supervisor that the employee has tested negative for COVID-19 every fourteen days.
· Applicants with an interest in water resources
· Ability to work outside over rough terrain in all weather conditions
· Applicants with an interest in working with geospatial data
· Living Allowance: $600/week (pre-tax)
· Position is eligible for an AmeriCorps education award upon successful completion of the program. Value of education award is $3,447.50 (pre-tax).
· Student loan forbearance and health insurance
· Wilderness First Aid
· Basic Water Rescue
· Boat Safety
· Sexual Harassment Awareness and Prevention Training
How to Apply
Apply on-line at: https://form.jotform.com/StewardsIPP/2024-biawatercorps-member-applicati
In addition to your resume, please submit a one-page cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this position and how your background and experience will help you succeed in this position.
If selected to be a WaterCorps member at the Navajo Department of Water Resources – Water Management Branch, an additional Navajo Nation application will need to be submitted for volunteer employment with the Navajo Nation.
If you have questions about this position, please contact Ryan T. Barton, Hydrologist, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Stewards Program Coordinator Ali Jones (email@example.com)
This program is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression, political affiliation, marital or parental status, genetic information, and military service. Where a significant portion of the population eligible to be served needs services or information in a language other than English, the recipient shall take reasonable steps to provide written material of the type ordinarily available to the public in appropriate languages.