REI Co-op is united around discovering, building and celebrating better ways of working in this world, all so that folks can find and pursue a love of the outdoors. When you work for the co-op, you do your best work with the support to live your best life. And you play a part in shaping the future of the outdoors, for people and our planet.
This job contributes to REI’s success by overseeing the balancing and posting of corporate financial data into the General Ledger in a timely and accurate manner. Analyzes and reconciles more complex general ledger account balances. Researches and posts account corrections in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal account definitions. This position must have an excellent understanding of the technical and financial implications of the associated processes and can identify and resolve problems independently. Participates in cross divisional general accounting projects. Initiates, develops, and implements process improvements. Provides functional advice or training to colleagues as needed. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission. As people are the Co-op’s biggest asset, our team directly support the various roles that make REI such a great place to work.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
- Performs and reviews month-end closing activities.
- Oversees the balancing and posting of corporate financial data from multiple systems into the General Ledger in an accurate and timely manner.Solid understanding of internal controls related to accounting and reporting. Proactive in ensuring adequate internal controls within accounting and working with other functions to ensure adequate controls exist for processes that impact accounting.
- Demonstrates excellent time management skills and effectively prioritizes competing responsibilities with minimal oversight; ensures deliverables are completed timely.
- Analyzes financial information to provide insight to management and to ensure material accuracy.
- Maintains confidentiality when performing routine and ad-hoc tasks that contain sensitive information.
- Identify control weaknesses and inefficient processes; initiates, develops, and implements process improvements.
- Analyzes and reconciles more complex Balance Sheet accounts, identifying and resolving discrepant items.
- Accountable for reconciling and posting complex accounting transactions.
- Researches questions about financial information, and posts correcting entries in accordance with GAAP and internal account definitions.
- Contact and resource for auditors; provides audit schedules, account reconciliations, and supporting documentation.
- Trains, coaches, and provides guidance to accounting team members relating to more complex accounting processes and reconciliations.
- Partners closely with payroll, benefits, and compensation teams and exhibits discretion when assisting with HR strategic initiatives.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
- 3+ years accounting or bookkeeping experience.
- Thorough understanding of multiple financial systems.
- Experience analyzing data in an ERP system.
- Advanced use of Excel worksheets.
- Firm understanding of how to apply GAAP to General Ledger accounting and the ability to coach and provide guidance to other accounting staff on more complex accounting principles.
- Consistently demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality surrounding sensitive employee or company information.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
- CPA license
At REI, we believe the outdoors is for all. We are committed to becoming a fully inclusive, anti-racist, multicultural organization. We know that there's strength in our diversity – that each employee brings unique skills, experiences, and perspectives. Every day you are driving change, fostering a culture of respect, and knowing you're backed by benefits that support your whole life. To work towards this commitment and fulfill our brand promise of inspiring and enabling a life outside for everyone, we seek employees who demonstrate different ways of working, create a sense of belonging, and actively listen and learn.
We are committed to practices that promote pay equity and transparency. As required by applicable Pay Transparency laws, REI provides a range of compensation for roles that may be hired in locations under these requirements. Factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include a wide array of factors, including: your specific skills and experience, geographic location or other relevant factors.
REI offers all regular employees a generous employee discount, access to health benefits, a retirement savings plan and accrued time off. Click here for a detailed overview of benefits plans by employee profile.
$72,900.00 - $116,800.00 per year