Counsel, Product and Marketing
Counsel, Product & Marketing (AMER)
We are open to this person sitting in our Denver, Costa Mesa or Stratham NH office in a hybrid/work flex capacity.
VF Corporation outfits consumers around the world with its diverse portfolio of iconic lifestyle brands, including Vans®, The North Face® and Timberland®. Founded in 1899, VF is one of the world’s largest apparel, footwear and accessories companies with socially and environmentally responsible operations spanning numerous geographies, product categories and distribution channels. VF is committed to delivering innovative products to consumers and creating long-term value for its customers and shareholders.
VF will grow by creating amazing products and brand experiences that transform and improve the lives of consumers worldwide, while delivering superior returns to our stakeholders.
At VF, we draw on 117 years of experience to continuously transform ourselves in an ever-changing global marketplace. We constantly learn from the past, but live in the future.
Our culture is all about harnessing the power of our brands and our talented associates to capitalize on our greatest opportunities for long-term performance. Across our company, a simplified and strategic mindset differentiates our products and brand experiences. It all adds up to a lasting competitive advantage built on collaboration, agility and execution.
Powerful brands, shaped by shopper insights and fueled by innovation, drive our success by putting us at the heart of consumers’ lives. With the industry’s most diverse family of apparel, footwear and accessories brands, we serve consumers on every continent. Many of our brands lead their respective categories, and some have risen to iconic status. As we look to the future, we will continue to lean on our integrated approach to ensure we embrace our shared learnings as we add value across our portfolio of brands.
The primary responsibility of the Counsel is to provide hands-on in-house support across all of our North America brands to various departments at VF in the development, launch, sale and marketing of products and services throughout the organization. The Counsel will provide legal advice and service to clients and colleagues on a wide range of legal matters, but will focus on contracts, marketing and support, and handle other legal matters as may be assigned from time to time.
The Counsel position reports to the Senior Counsel, Product and Marketing.
The Counsel position requires a highly-motivated and independent thinker and high-level strategist with excellent verbal and written skills, who is exceptionally-organized, who is respectful of others, and has the ability to maintain a collaborative business environment taking each brand’s unique equity and strategic objectives into account. The Counsel will:
- Identify and manage risks, develop risk-mitigation and remediation strategies and drive implementation of same, negotiate strategic agreements, advise on regulatory and contractual compliance in conjunction with business leaders.
- Develop efficient, stream-lined service models to quickly identify and manage material risks associated with high-level, strategic initiatives.
- Structure, negotiate, coordinate, and timely execute a wide variety of contracts, including but not limited to services agreements, marketing and product support agreements, agency agreements, collaboration agreements, licenses, supply chain agreements, consulting agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Engage In conjunction with Senior Counsel, develop processes and best practices with the EMEA and APAC regional teams to support timely legal review and regulatory compliance around global campaigns, product development and special collaborations.
- Present legal advice and data in a manner that supports accurate and timely decisions concerning business strategy.
- Construct effective internal network of relationships with other VF functional leaders and business stakeholders to continuously improve contract and marketing review processes and protect the best interests of VF.
- Develop business-practical educational modules and trainings in areas where increased knowledge and advice will proactively mitigate risk, increase efficiency and improve communication and partnership.
- Coordinate with VF Legal Operations to ensure ongoing process efficiency and implementation of new technologies where relevant.
- Conduct legal and business research and analysis to provide practical advice on a wide range of business, marketing and legal issues.
- Demonstrate professional ethics, a positive demeanor, support of the client’s goals, and enthusiasm for the success of VF at all times.
- Ideal candidate will have 8+ years of related business and professional experience, preferably with a focus on commercial contracts, marketing, advertising and other consumer protection issues as well as licensing.
- Juris Doctor (“JD”) degree from a highly-reputable, ABA-accredited law school
- Admitted to practice law and in good standing in at least one state bar/jurisdiction
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with drafting and negotiating a range of business contracts, including marketing-related contracts.
- A combination of firm and in-house experience is preferred
- Significant experience leading complex workstreams across multiple projects and subject areas preferred.
- The ability to lead, influence, and advise at all levels of the VF organization
- A strong work ethic and diligent attention to details
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to convey a positive, can-do attitude
Skills & Requirements:
A practical, hands-on, approach is a must -- focusing on being a business partner, valued team member and collaborator, enabling business teams to assess risks and make informed business decisions.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills required
- Advanced word processing and MS Office skills, especially in MS Word and MS Excel
- Some travel; but less than 10%
- Must have strong teambuilding, facilitation, organizational, planning and time management skills, and a proven results-orientation
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Sound judgement and decision-making skills
The Counsel must exhibit a strong commitment to a career as an in-house attorney, including personal drive to achieve and grow into the position while supporting others and celebrating team successes.
This role will be based in Denver, Costa Mesa or New Hampshire.
Hiring Range:$142,560.00 USD - $178,200.00 USD annually
Incentive Potential: This position is eligible for additional compensation awards that may include an annual incentive plan, sales incentive, or commission potential. Specific details of the additional compensation eligibility for this position will be provided during the recruiting and interview process.
Benefits at VF Corporation: You can review a general overview of each benefit program offered, including this year's medical plan rates on www.MyVFbenefits.com and by clicking Looking to Join VF? Detailed information on your benefits will be provided during the hiring process.
Please note, our hiring ranges are determined and built from market pay data. In determining the specific compensation for this position, we comply with all local, state, and federal laws.
Pursuant to all applicable local Fair Chance Ordinance requirements, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, VF will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.