Metrology Engineer II
At YETI, we believe that time spent outdoors matters more than ever and our gear can make that time extraordinary. When you work here, you’ll have the opportunity to create exceptional, meaningful work and problem solve with innovative team members by your side. Together, you’ll help our customers get the high-quality gear they need to make the most of their adventures. We are BUILT FOR THE WILD™.
A Metrology Engineer II at YETI is responsible for ensuring the accuracy and precision of measurement systems and equipment. In this role, you will be responsible for developing and implementing calibration methods, standards, and procedures to ensure the reliability and traceability of measurements. This individual performs and manages the metrology activities as they relate to supplier evaluation, builds qualification and quality assurance. The metrology engineer also organizes calibration for internal measurement equipment such as CMM, spectrophotometer, weight scales, gauges, etc. to ensure accuracy of each device.
Position Type (See Workplace Approach Below): Onsite
- Engage direction with product engineers and suppliers to enhance drawings, ensure GD&T principles are followed and planned measurement methods and techniques are sound
- Design and implement calibration processes, procedures, and systems to ensure the accuracy and reliability of measurement instruments and equipment
- Manage and maintain a comprehensive inventory of measurement instruments and equipment, including calibration schedules, records, and traceability documentation
- Perform calibration, verification, and testing of measurement instruments and equipment using appropriate standards and reference materials. This includes analyzing measurement data, identifying deviations, and implementing corrective actions.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, including engineers, technicians, and quality control personnel, to ensure effective communication, collaboration, and alignment of metrology activities such as drawing reviews and signoffs
- Collaborate with quality assurance teams and suppliers to establish and maintain quality control processes, data integrity, and compliance with quality standards
- Stay updated with relevant industry standards, regulations, and quality management systems to ensure compliance. Implement necessary measures to meet regulatory requirements
- Identify opportunities for process optimization and improvement in measurement techniques, equipment performance, and calibration procedures. Develop and implement innovative solutions to enhance efficiency and accuracy.
- Provide training and technical support to staff regarding measurement techniques, instrument operation, and calibration procedures. Maintain accurate documentation, including calibration reports, procedures, and certificates.
Qualifications and Attributes:
- Bachelor's degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics
- At least 4 years of industrial experience in metrology engineering or similar role
- Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
- Metrology certification or able to obtain one in the near future
- Proficient in GD&T a must
- Experienced in 3D CAD package (Solidworks, ProE/Creo, NX, etc)
- Statistical tools such as JMP and Weibull
- Proficiency in using a wide range of measurement instruments and equipment is necessary such as CMM, 3D scanner, spectrophotometer and caliper
- Strong knowledge of calibration procedures, standards, and reference materials is required. This includes understanding the use of calibration equipment, performing traceable calibrations, and ensuring compliance with relevant industry standards and regulations.
- A solid understanding of metrology principles, measurement techniques, and calibration procedures
- Possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to identify measurement errors, deviations, and other issues
- Analyze data, interpret results, and implement corrective actions to improve measurement accuracy
- Familiar with quality management systems (QMS) and related standards and understand quality control principles and the ability to work within a quality-driven environment are important aspects of the role
- Effective communication skills with cross-functional teams, technicians, and other stakeholders
US Workplace Approach:
- Onsite: Role requires you to be onsite full-time.
- Hybrid: Role requires you to be located in Austin, Texas and is a mixture of onsite and remote.
- Remote: Role is full-time remote.
Approach may vary based on role.
YETI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.